Friday 23 August 2013

Bungle Jungle Quilt - the back

Here's the back of the Bungle Jungle Floating Blocks quilt:


The design of the back was in part driven by the realisation that I had underestimated the amount of dark grey background fabric I might need and the discovery I had a piece of perfectly bright yellow drill that could make up the difference I needed.  Excellent! This worked in well with my decision in ordering some more of the yellow polkadot fabric to use as the binding. I did look in the fabric stores here, but there really was nothing that worked, so American on line fabric purchase it had to be:(

I wanted to use the whole 10x10 inch square of the large animal print on the back, so decided to 'frame' & highlight this & then used off cuts - different shaped rectangles to break up the rest of the yellow. Something like this:


I added a yellow strip to each side of the off cuts:

Framed the large print square in dark grey, and then added yellow to the width I was after:

And then began adding solid yellow strips inbetween to make up the full length I needed. As usual, I underestimated how much I would lose in seams and ended up having to add in another few coloured rectangle to make up the full length I needed.

 Finally, once all the pieces were stitched together, I squared up the edges and stitched each long edge to a piece of grey. Done!


Then my least favourite bit...the quilting sandwich...



No comments:

Post a Comment