Friday, 23 March 2012

A work in progress, a floating block quilt

A lovely quilter gave me a pile of material from her 'scrap' bin, including these Amy Butler Midwest Modern pieces which are going to inspire my next quilting project.

I spent a very happy afternoon trawling through all the charm packs I bought last year and pulled squares that go with the 'inspiration' pieces.  I ended up with a pile of aqua/blue tones, olive/lime greens and red/pink/mustardy yellows.  The prints overall have a bit of a retro-ish vibe I think and I do have a bit of a plan for how they will all end up pieced together.

Sticking with the 'modern quilting', as-little-measuring-and-accurate-cutting-not-always-required technique that works for me I sliced into each set of fabrics & then stitched strips together that are each about 12" long.  The plan is to piece these together into blocks and then find a background colour to put them onto....

finished strips randomly stuck up on my 'design wall' awaiting  the next step...

Thursday, 22 March 2012

Lucy's Cloche

Little Imp loves her hats.  Most grateful that this means there isn't a constant battle to get her wearing a hat for outside play.  But at times she almost borders on hat-fetish status and there are days when she will insist on wearing all day, inside or out and even to bed!
A while ago a friend gifted me a pattern for Lucy's Cloche from the Olabelhe blog, and yesterday I finally got around to making it.

It was surprisingly easy to put together.  The main problem was the sizing, I realise the fit is supposed to on the baggy size, but my initial attempt was almost large enough for my head rather than Little Imps!  A few fairly easy adjustments solved that though.  The other change I made to the pattern was to just use felt in the brim rather than interfacing.  Will have to see how that wears over time, but at the moment I think it works better - much softer feeling than a heavy inter-facing and felt doesn't crease like some inter-facings tend to.  I also used a plain fabric for the underside of the hat which works nicely to soften the overall look given how bold and bright the outer fabric is.

Wednesday, 14 March 2012

In the time it takes to clean the house...

How I will remember the Summer of 2012...
My feet are still giving me grief.  Moonboot on all my waking hours for the last 3 weeks while we swelter through heat wave after heatwave.  Euugh!

Trying to stay positive, I can come up with 2.5 good things that have come of this boot wearing.
1. My feet are beautifully soft and smooth - no hard, rough or dry skin here.  Husband says they are softer even than Little Imp's baby bottom!
2. I've hired a house cleaner.  This is the winning point.  She started today and I think she might be here to stay, even after the moon boot is no more.

Oh, and the half point of a good thing goes to Little Imp who has well and truly mastered the words 'shoe' and 'boot', and knows the difference between the two.

Look at what I did this morning in the time it took Cleaning Lady to clean the house.  Both productive ventures with good outcomes, but I know which I prefer!

Thursday, 8 March 2012

If only I had the skills...

If only I had the computer skills of my graphic designer brother then composing this new look 'One Little Imp' blog site would not have eaten up most of my day.  You have no idea how many times I re-sized the header image to get it to fit the way I wanted with the text.  Still not 100% happy, but it is not going to be reloaded anymore so this is it.

The weeks drag on where I am stuck in a 'moonboot' on one leg and not supposed to weight bear too much through the other leg while my calcaneal stress fractures take their sweet time to heal.  My heels just aren't healing (ha!).  Very frustrating indeed.  As much as I enjoy crafting, there is only so much you can do before you run out of something you need, or just want the option of doing something a bit more energetic....

Thursday, 1 March 2012

Strip Quilt with free-motion quilting

I finished this little quilt a while back, but kept accidentally deleting the photos I'd taken so its taken me a while to post about it.  The idea is from a Modern Quilting book I bought called Block Party - The Modern Quilting Bee by AH Carlton & K Lejnieks and it was so quick to put together.

My favourite part was the minimal measuring.  You just stitch together  pieces of different widths of fabrics into strips slightly longer than the length you want each block to be.

Then press and square them off along each long end.

And then sew on pieces of the background fabric to the long edges to make up each block, using one or 2 strips in each block.  Then arrange the blocks how you like & sew them all together.  Easy.

I tried my hand at free-motion quilting using a large meandering pattern all over the quilt and it turned out ok.  If you look closely you can see some mistakes, but none too noticeable and once I've washed it a few times I'm sure they will be even less so.  I didn't have the quilting gloves lots of bloggers say are useful in directing the fabric while quilting, but a pair of disposable surgical gloves with roughed finger pads did the trick for me.

Here's a close up of the quilting.

This quilting business is a little more addictive than I ever thought it would be....